Thursday, May 31, 2012

Burger Night - Italian Style

I made these delicious burgers for dinner tonight.  I got my inspiration from the popular Caprese salad.  I didn't have any fresh basil on hand this time but I guarantee that I will be making this again and will definitely include the fresh basil.

I served these burgers with a pasta salad and a fruit salad for sides.  What a great meal.








Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. bulk italian sausage
1 red onion, sliced thin
6 slices of mozzarella cheese
1 large tomato, sliced
18 leaves of fresh basil
fresh iceberg or romaine lettuce for burger
Balsamic mayonnaise (recipe follows)
6 poppy seed buns, split

From the italian sausage, form six patties for grilling.  Pre-heat your grill to med-high.  While you're waiting for the grill, p
repare the onions and tomatoes and set out the basil leaves and lettuce leaves for assembly.

Grill the sausage patties for about 4 minutes per side over direct heat.  Place one slice of mozzarella cheese on each patty, turn the grill off and close the lid to allow the cheese to melt.

When the cheese is melted, smear balsamic mayo on each side of the poppy seed bun, pile on the meat, tomatoes, onions, 3 basil leaves, and lettuce and enjoy.  This is truly a super simple, super delicious "burger".

Serves 6


Balsamic Mayo recipe:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 1/2 Tablespoons of Balsamic Viniagrette salad dressing.

Mix and serve.




For my fruit salad, I found my inspiration from Taste of Home

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Honey-Fruit-Salad

The only modification I made here was that I used black seedless grapes instead of green.  This salad is simple and tasty.  A great compliment to these burgers.




I've linked up this recipe to the Weekend Potluck at 4 Little Fergusons.  Stop by over there and say Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment